I’m reading Fantasyland: How America Went Haywire, A 500-Year History, by Kurt Anderson. He gives an inventory of all the ways (white) Americans have been more prone than Europeans to believe in big dreams, in get-rich-quick schemes, the supernatural, cure-alls, conspiracy theories, UFO sightings and other “alternative facts” from the beginning of white colonization up to the Trump presidency and America’s current “post-factual” society. It’s fascinating, and it confirms that I’m right when I argue with my American husband that UFO sightings are really mostly an American thing. Continue reading
- From Facebook to Flipboard: How I Avoid the Information Bubble
- Salsbury’s Slavery Spectacular!
- This Entire Fucking Country is Mentally Ill
- Covert Centralization?
- American Eugenics and the Holocaust
- Finally Going to the Aldi!
- Zwarte Piet : Putting Him Into Perspective, Again!
- When I was a Kid : Showing my Age
- Propaganda’s for Chumps
What Folks Have Been Reading
Archives: The Whole Shebang
WHAT I HAVE BEEN READING