I ate some terrible stuff in the Netherlands. Some of it tasty but super unhealthy, and some of it tasted terrible as well. The terrible tasting stuff was mostly food I had as a kid, when I had no choice. Ugh!
1. Frikandel: it’s supposed to be a kind of sausage, but it looks like a miniature horse’s penis and tastes awful. My mother cooked it in a pot of boiling butter, called jus, which she would use for about six months, for every kind of meat we ever had, before changing it out for new butter.
2. Witte spekjes: diced white bacon, in other words: pure, pure fat.
3. Half a smoked sausage from the Hema: delicious, but take one home and cut it into pieces and add it to dinner for 6.
4. Palingworst: sliced meat with lots of white fatty bits, tasty, but the Dutch are famous for sliced meats and there are plenty of healthier tasty alternatives.
5. Potatoes with “jus”: jus is pure melted butter, used like Americans use gravy.
6. Buttermilk: not typically Dutch, but that’s where I was first confronted with it.
7. Boterkoek: butter cake, nuff said.
8. Suikerbeest: sugar beast. It’s a St. Nicholas candy. It’s sugar with lots of coloring that’s put into old-fashion molds. The result is a sugar horse or a sugar sheep or such.
9. Klapstuk: big fat piece of boiled bacon with lots of fat. Traditionally eaten with hutspot, which is a stamppot with carrots and onions.
10. Cooked belgian endive (witlof). I love it raw in salads, but it’s so bitter when cooked the traditional way.
Are you American and have you been to Holland and eaten something really gross? Write a comment about the experience.