My (at the time 2-year-old) son says almost everything in English, but he does understand my Dutch. It does lead to misunderstandings, though, like recently at the zoo. I told him he could give the goat an “aai” (a pat), so he promptly poked the poor beast in the eye. Later, at home, we practiced patting his pet monkey, giving it lots of “aaien,” because the next animal may not be as forgiving as that goat was.
- Meringues! A Tasty Bit of French Fluff in Austin, Texas
- 25th Anniversary of My Emigration
- What Have the Dutch Ever Given Us?
- My New and Improved Blogs: Yes, Plural!
- But That Was Then, This Is Now: Part 4: The Racial Wealth Gap
- But That Was Then, This Is Now : Part 3 A Little Property History
- But That Was Then, This Is Now : Part 2 Housing Inequality
- But That Was Then, This Is Now : Part 1 Introduction
- Trump’s Telephone Tangle, Untied
- From Facebook to Flipboard: How I Avoid the Information Bubble
What Folks Have Been Reading
Archives: The Whole Shebang
WHAT I HAVE BEEN READING